Regular assistance will be on hold the week of February 19-23. Assistance will resume February 26th.
The Regular and Crisis Winter LIHEAP Program opened on January 8th, 2024. Regular assistance is scheduled to close March 29th, 2024, and Crisis assistance is scheduled to close April 30th, 2024. Applications may be picked up outside of each CAPCA support office, or you may contact our offices to have us place an application in the mail for you. There is also an online application available at any point, even when our agencies are closed, at LIHEAP App (getliheap.com). Applications are accepted in person on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:15 AM to 5:00 PM, or through the mail at any time during the program period. Please contact your local CAPCA support office for more information, if needed
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is designed to assist low-income households which pay a large amount of household income for home energy (electric, natural gas, propane, etc.). There are three types of assistance provided: Regular, Crisis, and Assurance 16.
Regular Assistance is designed to assist with the household’s energy burden, not to cover the total costs of bills. It is available for eligible low-income households during the winter and summer application periods, and is a one-time payment, meaning there is one regular assistance benefit available during the winter program, and one during the summer program. Regular assistance payments will be made within 35 days of the date the application was approved.
Crisis Assistance is available for eligible low-income households during the winter and summer application periods, and is a one-time payment, meaning that there is one crisis assistance benefit available during the winter program, and one during the summer program. To be eligible for crisis benefits, the household must meet general eligibility requirements and crisis definition requirements which include: disconnect notice; eviction notice when a household’s energy cost is included in their rent payment; enrollment in a delayed payment arrangement; current bill is due within seven days of the date of application; past-due amount on utility bill; pre-paid electric alerted that the balance will soon exhaust; propane or fuel oil below 20%; disconnected service; or health-related life-threatening situation if power is disconnected. Crisis assistance payments will be made within 20 days of the date the application was approved.
Assurance 16 (A-16) is a service that encourages and enables households to reduce their home energy needs which will ultimately reduce their need for energy assistance in the future. Households that have received crisis assistance may qualify for A-16 services, which are provided in the time between the winter assistance program and the summer assistance program.
Each of these programs operates only when funds are available. When LIHEAP is not in operation, other emergency utility assistance may be provided to eligible households, dependent upon available funding.
RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF APPLICANTS/RECIPIENTS
- I understand that my application will be shared with the providers of the selected additional services.
- I understand the information on this application will be kept confidential and only be shared as indicated. No information will be sold, loaned, rented, or otherwise disclosed except as indicated on this application.
- I understand that I have the right to appeal any decision regarding this application which I consider improper, any delay in decision or delivery of services, and any disagreement with benefit amount.
- I understand that I must help establish my eligibility by providing as much information as I can about my circumstances.
- I authorize the LIHEAP affiliate to share information relating to my application with my utility service provider(s) to determine my eligibility or benefit amount.
- I give permission to the Arkansas Energy Office (AEO) to use information provided on my application for purposes of reporting, research, evaluation, and analysis of the program.
- I authorize my utility supplier(s) to release my account information to the Arkansas Energy Office (AEO) or its designee(s).
- I understand that my utility service provider will have no control over the data disclosed pursuant to this consent and will not be responsible for monitoring or taking any steps to ensure that the LIHEAP office maintains the confidentiality of the data or uses the data as I have authorized.
- I understand that no person may be denied assistance on the basis of race, color, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, or political belief.
- I understand that my signature on this application authorizes the agency to verify information about me or any household member and/or use it as a release to secure information needed to determine my eligibility for services.
- I understand that if I receive assistance to which I am not entitled as a result of withholding information or knowingly providing false or fraudulent information regarding me and/or household members, I must repay the cost of any assistance and may face penalty of criminal prosecution.
- The information given on this application is true to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that this form is signed subject to penalties for perjury.
UNDER STATE AND FEDERAL LAW, LIHEAP BENEFITS ARE NOT CONSIDERED INCOME/RESOURCES FOR ANY PURPOSE, INCLUDING TAXATION.